Customer Questions:

Free Trial Expired. How do I keep the free 2M char service going?

I have read this thread repeatedly:
https://translatorbusiness.uservoice.com/forums/553099-microsoft-translator-on-azure-customer-question-fo/suggestions/16813834-how-will-free-subscription-tier-work-after-azure-f

and I have searched high and low on your site and everywhere else I can think of (google, stackexchange) but I keep going round and round in circles and I'm starting to feel more than a little stupid.

I signed up for the free trial period which has now expired. How do I keep the free 2m character service going?

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SandrySandry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SandrySandry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Pauline,

Thank you very much for this, it is definitely the clarification I was seeking. My Translator seems to be working quite happily :c)

I do have one other thing I'd like to check, please. When I look at the Cognitive Services account for the Translator, it says that I'm using the Free Tier. But, when I Click on Pricing Tier on the right, the new window says that "Sku F0 is quota exceeded for current subscription." Is this expected behaviour?
        Screenshot: https://snag.gy/WSkodY.jpg

Kind regards,

Marie

• PaulineAdminPauline (Admin, Microsoft Translator) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Sandry,

Thank you for your interest in the Microsoft Translator API. Yes, you are correct in that you need to subscribe to the Pay As You Go Azure subscription (after the Free Trial period ended). You will not be charged unless you use Azure.

After you reinstate your Azure subscription, verify your subscription to the Microsoft Translator Text API free tier (F0) for a maximum monthly volume of 2M characters/month. Then you're ready to use the Microsoft Translator service again.

Does the above explanation help? Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.
        Pauline
        Microsoft Translator team

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this process just as unfathomable as Sandry did. I don't understand why Microsoft couldn't make a simple, cook-book style set of directions that could be followed. The explanations and procedures that Microsoft is using for this transition are unbelievably full of mazes, traps, misinformation, obsolete websites, broken promises and mysteries. Microsoft: a clear explanation PLEASE, before Azure Marketplace expires. Some WORKING sample code would be wonderful.

I found this process just as unfathomable as Sandry did. I don't understand why Microsoft couldn't make a simple, cook-book style set of directions that could be followed. The explanations and procedures that Microsoft is using for this transition are unbelievably full of mazes, traps, misinformation, obsolete websites, broken promises and mysteries. Microsoft: a clear explanation PLEASE, before Azure Marketplace expires. Some WORKING sample code would be wonderful.

• SandrySandry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Katharine,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am sorry to say that I am still stuck. When I go to add a new Cognitive Services subscription, the form where I fill in the account name, API type, Pricing Tier and so on has a field named Subscription where the only available value is "Free Trial" but this is disabled. Screen shot: https://snag.gy/6r35oj.jpg

I am obviously missing something fundamental here, but I'm not sure what. Do I need to have upgraded from Trial Subscription to pay-as-you-go first? (I mean pay-as-you-go as my account type rather than the pricing tier for the translator.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base